It's Friday already?!



Last year I would count down the minutes to Friday every week…. I can't believe how fast the weeks are going by now.  It really is true that time flies when you're having fun. ;)

Although, I must have been having too much fun because I am home sick today… I felt bad for leaving my kiddies- especially on treasure box day :-o.  I thought I could make it a half day, but when I got to school they took one look at me and sent me home.  Two weeks at the school and I am already sick!  Lots of OJ, soup, and cold medicine for me today.

I figured I could sneak in a little Five for Friday in between my naps today..



Well first off, this is what my desk looked like most of the week.  Does anyone else have this problem?  The candy corn is for our non-standard measuring we will be doing next week!  I'm sure their parents love me for sending them home all sugared up. ;)



I am part of a two year teacher induction program in my school district.  This is my second year in the program.  Each year, the district gives you a mentor who helps you with literally all of your teacher questions and problems.  I've lucked our both years and had amazing, helpful mentors.   My new mentor gave me this adorable frame for my desk.  I am in love!



This vocabulary flip book is the BEST part of my writing center.  My students are obsessed with these! I made two color copies for the writing center and had to make more copies for each of their table groups.  Anytime they are stuck thinking what to write about I put the book in front of them and problem solved!  This has also been a great way for them to add more details and vocabulary to their writing.  Get these writing flip books at my TpT store {here}!





We started our non-standard measuring unit this week.  I made this Halloween Measuring Activity to introduce the concept to my little firsties.  They had so much fun with the Halloween pictures.  We cut out the pictures and glued them on to black paper.  Afterwards, we measured them with paper pumpkins!  I included a cutout of small pumpkins in the activity, but using my school's die cut machine was SO much easier.  This thing is awesome and it is all electronic- all I had to press was the go button!

Of course this is the only picture I got of us doing the activity.  I will have to post an update of our finished ones next week!





The first three people who leave a comment with their email addresses will get this fun Halloween activity for free!


Last, but definitely not least- my work in progress.  I am making accountable talk signs for each student to have at their desk.  I am working really hard to get my students to use more accountable talk in the classroom, but it's always hard to tell if a student is raising a hand to use accountable talk or if they are raising their hand to tell me what they ate for lunch (anyone in a K/1 classroom can relate to me here).  So I made these little signs to solve this problem!  If they agree or disagree with another student's answer, they will hold up their sign.  If they want to add on to what someone else said, they will hold up that sign.  And the same for if they used the same strategy as someone.  I am hoping these will also remind students to use accountable talk, not only during math, but throughout the day as well.  


I printed each card on a different color piece of paper, laminated, then hot glued tongue depressor sticks in between! Getting them cut out and glued took about an hour, but I'm thinking the results are going to be SO worth the time!



I really think the "we used the same strategy" sign is going to keep those inactive or shy students more involved.  To see that other people used the same strategy as them will give them a little confidence boost. 


I am going to post these to my TpT store as soon as I get them going in my classroom!  Keep an eye out for them next week!



Phew… this post took a little more energy than I expected.  Taking my next dose of cold medicine and sweet dreams for me!

Thanks to everyone reading!  Please leave a comment with your teacher blog link!  I am new to linky parties and would love to see some other teachers in action!


8 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better! I love your writing center word books.. I have folders, but I love how yours has pictures! I may have to stop into your TPT store. At least you have a three day weekend to recover :)
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to be sick on Friday! I love the vocabulary cards! I bet it really helps with the kids spelling. The halloween measuring looks fun too! alanda7256@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sent the halloween measuring! Thanks for leaving a comment and I hope you enjoy the activity!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kristin,

    I love your idea for using little signs during discussions - lets the teacher know what input the student is going to have... and forces the student to think through their contribution before they share it. Great idea!
    I hope you are feeling much better. :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better soon! I would have a hard time not eating all that candy up before we measured it!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rats, I'm number 5 to comment!

    Hope you are feeling better quick! And yes- my desk is ALWAYS covered in stuff. I say I'm going to be more organized every year and it just never happens... But I do know where everything is in my mess!

    Heather
    The Land of I Can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats ok! I have only had one person leave their email so if you leave yours I can still send the halloween activity! :)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 The Therapeutic Teacher , Blogger